Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Superman to Senior in 2 seconds


Let me set the stage:
It is about 70 outside, sun shinning, I'm riding my bike on the beautiful Bosque trail by the Rio Grande river. I'm feeling good. I've got a good sweat going. "Could it get any better?" Yes. A couple riders pull onto the trail ahead of me.

The challenge has been issued. I must catch these riders.

I start pushing a little harder, legs pumping, I am a MACHINE! I gain on them and within 10 minutes I'm drafting the back rider. Another mile and the 2nd rider passes the first and takes the lead. I follow him and the other rider drops off the pace.



ONE DOWN, ONE TO GO.

I stay right on his back tire. I can tell I'm pushing him. Another mile or two and I decide to pass him. Dude, I'm Lance armstrong! We ride for about 3 miles and he is still with me, but I feel sympathy for the poor guy and I slow down and strike up a conversation with him. We talk about some very general stuff, "how far are you going, nice bike, great day". After a couple minutes, I find out we both rode the El Tour de Tucson last November. "This guy must be alright". Then I find out we rode almost the exact time. "OK, he is gaining stature on my Cool meter". He then throws out a veiled excuse of "I'm not riding too bad for a guy over 50". I tell him I am exactly one month short of my 50th birthday. Then it happens. His next comment is:

"Hey. You can participate in the New Mexico Senior Olympics as soon as you turn 50!"

BAM! Just shoot me now!

He says it like it is some achievement! I said,"Wow. That's cool." Inside I was saying, "..... well I can't really write them down here and keep my Temple Recommend...."


My speed dropped from about 22 mph to the 17-18 range, I suddenly felt my legs start to tighten up, my chest got tighter, (I'm gonna have a freakin' heart attack because of this guy!), I feel like 20 lbs heavier.


That's it! I am never talking to anyone, ever again while I am riding unless I know them beforehand!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, funny story! But I don't see why you are that hurt, we've been calling you "old man" for quite a while... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry dad...we won't tell anyone that you're officially a senior citizen...besides, you've been "senior" to me for a long time already, remember??? (c:

    ReplyDelete